The Software Engineer designs, constructs, tests, and maintains computer applications software or systems as a member of the marine recording systems team. Evaluates operational feasibility of systems by performing analysis, reviewing requirements, developing solutions and providing recommendations for changes in policies and procedures. Vision, creative problem-solving, leveraging technology, ambition, and drive are strongly encouraged in this role and throughout the Company.
Reports to: Manager – Marine Product Development
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Interfaces: The Engineering Team, Technical Services and Operations teams within the Systems & Engineering Division, QHSE, Supply Chain, Third Party Vendors, and Customers
Specific Functional Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and implement desktop and web-based applications that include extensive database integration.
- Design software interfaces to manufacturing test equipment to facilitate automated configuration and testing of discrete hardware components and record and analyze the results of those tests.
- Create and maintain software support documentation.
- Interface with manufacturing and field support groups to establish software requirements.
- Analyze products or equipment specifications and performance requirements related to systems requiring operational software and or firmware. Create technical specifications for the software based on the analysis.
- Compile and analyze test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Develop and improve test procedures and standards; analyze and communicate test results and recommend corrective actions.
Attributes Required (Behavioral-based Requirements):
- Consistently demonstrates the Company’s Core Values (Safety, Integrity, Collaboration, Creativity, and Excellence) in all internal and external interactions.
- Functions as a business partner and team player with all key stakeholders and actively supports and participates in a cohesive, collaborative, and positive work environment. Leverages existing skills, but also remains receptive to mentoring from others.
- Maintains positive relationships with customers and vendors.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively manage projects from start to finish and understands financial implications when analyzing and interpreting operational solutions before making recommendations to management.
- Troubleshoots and solves operational issues as they arise, keeping both the Company and customer’s management team informed as needed.
- Identifies and articulates problems both verbal and written, propose alternative solutions, have factual backup for decisions and question prior decisions if the results do not materialize as previously projected.
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mentality, with a capacity and energy to challenge the status quo and drive change throughout the organization.
- Willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves and dig into the details”. Ability to deal with complexity while meeting tight deadlines and giving highest attention to detail.
- Should be able to work somewhat autonomously and meet required deadlines.
General Qualifications (Professional Degree(s), Yrs of Specific Experience, Certification(s)), Job Knowledge, and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Computer/Software Engineering or Computer Science is required.
- 5+ year's development experience is required.
- Minimum of 2 years of related work experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Must have expert level C and/or C++ development skills.
- Database design and development experience, preferably using Postgres.
- User interface design experience with GTK and/or Qt preferred.
- Experience developing multi-threaded applications with complex interprocess communication layers.
- Experience working and developing on a Linux Platform.
- Good Object-Oriented Design and debugging skills.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder with the ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
Fairfield Geotechnologies is an equal opportunity employer.