The Operations Geophysicist has advanced level knowledge of the principles of seismic acquisition and quality control including seismic data, source, navigation and positioning, data quality and assurance and seismic data recording systems (OB nodes, navigation and positioning, and seismic sources). Vision, creative problem-solving, leveraging technology, exceptional customer service, ambition, and drive are strongly encouraged in this role and throughout the Company.
Reports to: Chief Operations Geophysicist
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Interfaces: Data Acquisition, Commercial Team, Data Processing, and Systems & Engineering Divisions, Legal, & QHSE.
Specific Functional Responsibilities:
- Helps prepare the time motion analysis for each Request for Information (RFI), Request for Proposal (RFP), or Request for Quotation (RFQ), received by the bid team.
- Provide alternative acquisition methods and time motion analysis with efficiency, cost and safety in mind.
- Work with the Chief Operations Geophysicist, bid team, technical and operations teams to review and provide feedback/guidance on all technical and acquisition specifications for each RFI, RFQ, and RFP.
- Work directly with the technical team members and the operation managers to monitor each awarded survey for progress vs expectation (as bid), for contractual assurance, and internal KPI performance; and support project meetings with clients.
- Assists with monitoring and analyzing competition surveys, in conjunction with bid team.
- Assists with technical support for operations teams on any other special projects as maybe necessary and required.
- Supports new equipment installations and system upgrades / changes in the offshore environment.
Attributes Required (Behavioral-based Requirements):
- Our values describe who we are, guide how we conduct business to ensure the quality, health and safety of our employees, clients and stakeholders as we work towards our vision. Consistently demonstrates the Company’s Values (Flexible, Innovative, and Trustworthy) in all internal and external interactions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Drives for results with passion and energy and maintains accountability for all work products. Sets high standards for him/herself and cross-functional teams, remains organized and focused, and understands the 80% / 20% rule to avoid overanalyzing before acting.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment while providing a high level of customer service. Is self-directed and able to work autonomously and within teams to meet required deadlines.
General Qualifications (Professional Degree(s), Yrs of Specific Experience, Certification(s)), Job Knowledge, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geophysics, Math, Physics, or other related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- 5-7 years of hands-on experience working within the seismic industry.
- Must have advanced level knowledge of the principles of seismic acquisition using bottom reference systems.
- Previous experience working with OBS acquisition programs.
- Advanced level knowledge of seismic data recording systems (OB nodes, navigation and positioning, and seismic sources).
- Current working knowledge of simultaneous source acquisition and deblending techniques.
- Advanced level knowledge of seismic acquisition QC, including seismic data, source, and navigation and positioning, data quality and assurance.
- Working knowledge of seismic data processing, including onboard data processing workflows.
- Demonstrated ability to recommend solutions that meet or exceed needs within project/program.
- Effective communication/presentation/facilitation skills (oral and written).
- Ability to think logically, critically, and constructively about complex problems, clearly communicate findings of analysis, and propose solutions that address expressed needs. The availability to travel and work offshore is required. Travel is estimated at approximately 10% within the job scope of responsibility.
Software Applications Requirements:
- Seismic survey planning software (OMNI, Mesa, Norsar, other).
- Seismic crew production software (MultiSeis or equivalent).
- Navigation software (Gator, etc.).
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Access.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder with the ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
- Must have the following current certifications:
- BOSIET / FOET
- UKOOA / OGUK
- Valid Passport
Fairfield Geotechnologies is an equal opportunity employer.